French Bulldogs are not known to be frequent barkers, which is one of the many reasons puppy parents love them. Still, this can vary, and some pups are louder than others, read below how to train them not to bark or how to stop them from barking once started.
How much do French Bulldogs bark?
Frenchies are smart dogs who are aware and alert of their surroundings, so there’s usually a reason why they bark. Finding this out is key to helping stem the action or prevent it from happening altogether.
The top reasons why your Frenchie barks:
- Territorial: seeing or being around other dogs and unfamiliar people can make your pup uncomfortable and alarmed – they may see them as a threat to themselves and to you (always looking out for their beloved parents!)
- A new/foreign object: a new item in the house can make your Frenchie feel suspicious, which they may also want to vocalize …and so the barking begins
- Boredom! Sometimes your Frenchie is just bored and may want to play or roam in the garden or park
Training your little one to a command such as ‘quiet’ can take time, but in the long run, it will be a success for both of you.
Do’s and Don’ts – Top tips for reducing your Frenchie’s barking
- Stay indifferent: with unfamiliar people and objects, your Frenchie may go on a barking session. Ignoring their bark and remaining indifferent until it’s over can help them realize you are not threatened and are at ease with the situation. This will help them react in the same way.
- Repeat a phrase in a calm voice such as ‘quiet’ with a treat in sight, wait for a few seconds, and if they stay quiet for a short period – e.g. 10 seconds – feed them the treat and slowly extend the time between commands. This will eventually train your pup to stay quiet and be rewarded at the end. If they continue to bark – keep the treat but wave it by their nose so that they understand they need to give you their silent attention before earning the reward.
- Use the trigger to your benefit: if you know what your pup is barking at then you can use this trigger along with treats to ease them into feeling less aggravated – start by having the trigger further away and slowly edge it closer, with treats at hand to make your little one more comfortable.
- Reverse the barking by asking your dog to react in the opposite way – asking them to ‘lay down’ or ‘sit’ and then reward them with a treat for doing so.
- …give up! Consistency and lots of practice is key to keeping the command in their minds
- …yell at your baby – positive, conversational tones are best for normalizing your command.
- …keep them always inside – Frenchies love to be playful and active, so letting them run free can help alleviate barking and keep their minds active on exploring the outdoors!
Try to put these tips into action and you’ll see your results very soon: your Frenchie will be calmer and more attentive to your commands…and treats! Good luck and let us know how it goes!
The article was written based on the experience and the services of the TomKings Puppies Team. TomKings Puppies have been breeding French Bulldogs for 12 years on their farm. All the pictures in the post belong to them and show a puppy from their breed. Check available puppies here, or if you have any questions, let us know in the comments below.
8 thoughts on “How much do French Bulldogs bark (and what do to if they bark a lot)?”
Great information- currently I have one barker, and my new guy has never barked!! I’ll now be ready to train if he begins!
thank you Ginny! 🙂
Please keep us posted in the Tomkings Frenchie Family Facebook group! 🙂
Thank you so much! I finally found you❤️ I will be studying your website. Are your puppies that are available updated quickly. Is there a waiting list? Looking for cream female with straight up ears ( I think)
Thank you all my family have frenchies ( no breeding)
We’re so happy to have you here and hopefully, you come back every now and then as we publish new stuff on a regular basis. Normally we update available puppies frequently, in the current situation with the coronavirus, there is a waitlist, you can sign up here and we let you know once we can proceed: https://tomkingskennel.com/upcoming-colors/
Thanks for contacting us, have a great day.
I will definitely try this my squad barks in octaves…lol thank you
You’re welcome! 🙂 I hope it will help you with that :))
I don’t have my pup yet but I’m reading everything you send🐾🐾🐾🐾
Nixie can’t wait to finally meet you! 🙂