At Christmas, the daily routine of families changes, guests are coming over or we visit friends and family. We go to bed later, get up later, eat and drink differently. French Bulldogs are a very social and adaptable breed so they have no problem with meeting new people or traveling. But there are some treats in the holiday season which could be fatal for our furry friends. Please read this article to learn what the potential dangers are in order to have a Safe and Merry Xmas with your Frenchie!
Chocolate, cookies, candies, alcohol, fireworks – some of the things which make the holiday seasons enjoyable for humans but are absolutely dangerous for your Frenchie. Below we’ll discuss all of these, please read our other article too about the foods French Bulldogs can never eat.
Humans think of chocolate as a reward and a treat but it’s absolutely dangerous for French Bulldogs. It contains theobromine which – even in a small amount – is toxic to dogs. It can cause hyperexcitability (spontaneous and continuous muscle fiber activity), tremors, convulsions and even problems with the heart. The darker the chocolate is (which is considered to be healthier for humans), the more potent levels of theobromine it has.
Warning: Don’t put any chocolate nor candies on or under the Xmas tree in a bowl, as your puppy might be too curious and want to taste it.
Subscribe to our weekly blog newsletter:
Cookies often contain chocolate, nuts and artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs even in the smallest amount. We hear the heartbreaking news every year that furbabies fall victim to one or two leftover cookies.
Warning: Make sure that you don’t leave cookies on the table when your friends are coming over.
Considered to be a healthier alternative to chocolate for humans, currants, sultanas, raisins are toxic to Frenchies. Ingestion of even a small quantity of any of these can cause severe kidney failure.
Warning: Be careful not to let your puppy eat Christmas pudding or mince pie.
We are not discussing here what kind of negative effects alcohol can have on humans, it does the same with puppies. Your fur baby might easily help himself or herself with unattended alcohol lying around, which might lead to serious problems, but even in the slightest, it’s not healthy for them.
Warning: Ask your guests not to put their glass filled with alcohol where your Frenchie might reach it.
Unlike a lot of humans, dogs are scared of fireworks. The loud noises and flashing lights of fireworks can be very frightening for your puppy.
If you or your friend have fireworks, don’t let your dog outside, and create a safe place for them in the house. Draw the curtains and keep the TV on so that the loud noise is not so frightening. Read our article for more tips on what to do when your Frenchie gets scared.
Warning: Try to avoid small fireworks or sparklers in the house.
What to do if your puppy has eaten any of the above
If your Frenchie somehow still manages to eat any of the foods mentioned despite all your efforts, please take it very seriously and call the vet or take them to the vet immediately. It can save your pup’s life!
French Bulldogs are our best friends and family members, but they are not humans and not toys. Always ask your guests, adults and kids to be considerate of your puppy’s needs.
Merry Xmas to all the two-legged and four-legged members of your family!
The article was written based on the experience of the TomKings Puppies Team. TomKings Puppies have been breeding French Bulldogs for 10 years on their farm. All the pictures in the post belong to them and show a puppy from their breed. Check their available puppies here, or if you have any questions or comments let us know below the article.